Dwarves are known for their skill in warfare, their ability to withstand physical and magical punishment, their hard work, and their capacity for drinking ale. Dwarves are slow to jest and suspicious of strangers, but they are generous to those who earn their trust. They stand just 4 to 4 1/2 feet tall, but are broad and compactly built, almost as wide as they are tall. Dwarven skin varies from deep tan to light brown, and their hair is black, gray, or brown. Dwarven men value their beards highly.
Dwarven Ability Adjustments: +2 Con, -2 Cha.
Favored Class (Fighter): A multiclass dwarf's fighter class does not count when determining whether he suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing.
- Stonecunning: +2 racial bonus on Search checks made in subterranean areas.
- Bonus Proficiencies (Battleaxe, Heavy Pick, Warhammer)
- Darkvision: Dwarves are able to see in the dark.
- Hardiness vs. Poisons: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poisons.
- Hardiness vs. Spells: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells.
- Offensive Training vs. Orcs: +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs.
- Offensive Training vs. Goblinoids: +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against goblinoids (goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears).
- Defensive Training vs. Giants: +4 dodge bonus to AC against giants.
- Skill Affinity (Identification): +2 racial bonus to Knowledge checks for item identification.
Dwarves are the second-most common race in Impiltur. Found in its coastal cities, in the military and in small communities scattered throughout the mountains, most dwarves still live in the city of Earthfast. Despite a constant conflict with orcs and hobgoblins, King Torg recently led a full 2000 warriors east to fight the Tuigan Horde. He gave his life for the victory and the halls of Earthfast are more subdued than ever.