Halflings are clever, capable, and resourceful survivors. They are notoriously curious, and show a daring that many larger people can't match. They can be lured by wealth, but tend to spend rather than hoard. Halflings have ruddy skin, hair that is black and straight, and brown or black eyes. Halfling men often grow long sideburns, but rarely beards or moustaches. They prefer practical clothing, and would rather wear a comfortable shirt than jewelry. Halflings stand about 3 feet tall, and commonly live to see 150.
Halfling Ability Adjustments: +2 Dex, -2 Str.
Favored Class (Rogue): A multiclass halfling's rogue class does not count when determining whether he suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing.
- Small Stature:
- +1 size bonus to attack rolls.
- +1 size bonus to AC.
- +4 size bonus to Stealth checks.
- Skill Affinity (Stealth): +2 racial bonus to Stealth checks.
- Skill Affinity (Perception): +2 racial bonus to Perception checks.
- Lucky: +1 luck bonus to all saving throws.
- Fearless: +2 morale bonus to saving throws against spells and effects of the 'Fear' subtype.
- Good Aim: +1 racial bonus to attack rolls made with throwing weapons.
Special: Halflings are small creatures and as such they can never use the following Large weapons: bastard sword, dire mace, two-bladed sword, double axe, greataxe, greatsword, halberd, heavy flail, quarterstaff, scythe and spear.
Packages: Halfling characters should only choose the default package for their class, as the other packages may give the halfling weapons they cannot use.
Halflings are a fairly common sight in southern Impiltur, enjoying the relative safety and fertile soil to be found there. Whilst a fully halfling settlement is rare, food and drink from halfling-rich areas often have a reputation for excellence. Those who prefer more excitement come to the cities where they are capable merchants and popular cooks. Only the most adventurous travel to the Frontier or take up a life of dungeoneering.